Dubai Health Authority Launches Tawasol Master Class Certification from Cardiff UniversityApr 24, 2012 - 06:54 -
WAM Dubai, April 24, 2012 (WAM)--The Dubai Health Authority (DHA) launched the Tawasol Master Class certification programme today; a year-long continuous medical education programme aimed at family physicians in the country, according to Dr. Ahmed Kalban, Chief Executive Officer of Primary Health Care at (DHA).
The master class project, launched in partnership with the UAE Ministry of Health (MOH) and industry partner Novartis, will be an interactive, highly technical course to help family physicians better manage patients with multi-factorial risks associated with cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, such as high blood pressure (hypertension), and abnormal levels of fats/cholesterol in the blood (dyslipidaemia) - both diabetes-associated illnesses.
According to the World Health Organisation, the prevalence of diabetes is the highest among member countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), ranging from 11.5 to 20 percent, with more than 20 percent of the local population affected in the UAE. Local researchers also revealed recently that just 25 percent of Emiratis aged 35 to 70 years with hypertension (diagnosed and undiagnosed) have their blood pressure controlled within the recommended target of less than 140/90 mmHg - leaving 75 percent with uncontrolled disease.
The master class is the first of its kind to develop a holistic and comprehensive approach to risk factors and diseases that generally go hand-in-hand.
"The DHA is strategically moving towards protecting the cardiovascular and metabolic health of the population here through early screening and accurate diagnosis and treatment of diseases. In line with this strategy, and in collaboration with Cardiff University and Novartis, the Tawasol programme will use this unique evidence-based model to help local doctors deal with and treat these concomitant diseases," said Dr. Mohamed Farghaly, Head of Acute and Chronic Care, Dubai Health Authority.
The inauguration of the program will take place today at the Shangri La Hotel, in Dubai.